Candy and Fresh Snow

My name is Clint and I'm Abby's husband and Clay's, Lydia's, and Henry's dad. Abby has a beautiful insightful blog titled Oh So Well that tracks our family's journey. Along the way, Abby loads up her readers for a ride where we discover her witty language and timely topics. You may want to start with "Confessions of a Candyholic," "Dear Clay," "Determination," and "Open Letter to the Past Year." You will not be disappointed! I can only hope that this blog simply approaches the worthwhileness of hers. Here's her blog: candyandfreshsnow.blogspot.com

Language and Memory

Is language adequate to accurately articulate to another the pulsing knowledge learned from your heart? Why does memory abandon you or trick you into altering the past? Don't you sometimes, to necessitate communication, replace language with music, laughter, or crying out?

These questions were inspired by my reading of Leif Enger's fictional novel Peace Like a River, particularly the chapters titled, "Be Jubilant, My Feet" and "The Curious Music that I Hear." The narrator, Reuben Land, vividly paints his fascinating short visit to heaven with his dad. Despite the amazing description and recollection, Reuben falls short and laments, "What mortal creations are language and memory!"

Monday, May 4, 2009

Having Fun . . .

. . . is not the most important thing about playing baseball. We don't want to lose. We want to win. But the most important thing is to learn the basic rules, strategy, and fundamentals of the game of baseball. This is how I approach coaching kids. The fundamentals provide my players with the tools to make defensive plays, pitch, hit, and run the bases, feel a little sense of accomplishment. Knowing the rules and the strategy help my players truly understand defeat and to grasp what it takes to win. Tasting the bitterness of defeat is the pits, but coming back to the exhilaration of winning . . . now we're talking fun.

3 comments:

  1. Can I tell you how bad I wish you were Jake's coach?! That is the biggest problem up here. Jake has natural talent for sports, but it goes wasted with coaches that really don't want to do what they are doing and don't put any "teaching" into the game. It is really too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are a coach- You are great at it. Happy Baseball Season!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Clint. It sure brings back memories. I've seen alot of games over the years and watched alot of coaches. I know what I'm talking about when I say that you are one of the best ever. I look forward to coming to one of your games soon.

    ReplyDelete