Candy and Fresh Snow

My name is Clint and I'm Abby's husband and Clay's, Lydia's, and Henry's dad. Abby has a beautiful insightful blog titled Oh So Well that tracks our family's journey. Along the way, Abby loads up her readers for a ride where we discover her witty language and timely topics. You may want to start with "Confessions of a Candyholic," "Dear Clay," "Determination," and "Open Letter to the Past Year." You will not be disappointed! I can only hope that this blog simply approaches the worthwhileness of hers. Here's her blog: candyandfreshsnow.blogspot.com

Language and Memory

Is language adequate to accurately articulate to another the pulsing knowledge learned from your heart? Why does memory abandon you or trick you into altering the past? Don't you sometimes, to necessitate communication, replace language with music, laughter, or crying out?

These questions were inspired by my reading of Leif Enger's fictional novel Peace Like a River, particularly the chapters titled, "Be Jubilant, My Feet" and "The Curious Music that I Hear." The narrator, Reuben Land, vividly paints his fascinating short visit to heaven with his dad. Despite the amazing description and recollection, Reuben falls short and laments, "What mortal creations are language and memory!"

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Only the Dark Night

After the Dazzle of Day
After the dazzle of day is gone,
Only the dark night shows
         to my eyes the stars;
         After the clangor of organ majestic,
                   or chorus, or perfect band,
Silent, athwart my soul, moves
       the symphony true.

                                                     --Walt Whitman

My thoughts after reading: Darkness, Silence, Search my Soul, Beautiful.  Where does "After the Dazzle of Day" take you?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for letting me know you have a blog. I'm sure this will quickly become one of my favorite sites. I love everything you have written so far. I'm so glad that Peace Like a River touched you. I knew it would.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clint,

    We are so happy you have a blog. Your thoughts run deep. We'll be waiting for more...

    Love Dad & Sondi

    ReplyDelete