Candy and Fresh Snow

My name is Clint and I'm Abby's husband and Clay's, Lydia's, and Henry's dad. Abby has a beautiful insightful blog titled Oh So Well that tracks our family's journey. Along the way, Abby loads up her readers for a ride where we discover her witty language and timely topics. You may want to start with "Confessions of a Candyholic," "Dear Clay," "Determination," and "Open Letter to the Past Year." You will not be disappointed! I can only hope that this blog simply approaches the worthwhileness of hers. Here's her blog: candyandfreshsnow.blogspot.com

Language and Memory

Is language adequate to accurately articulate to another the pulsing knowledge learned from your heart? Why does memory abandon you or trick you into altering the past? Don't you sometimes, to necessitate communication, replace language with music, laughter, or crying out?

These questions were inspired by my reading of Leif Enger's fictional novel Peace Like a River, particularly the chapters titled, "Be Jubilant, My Feet" and "The Curious Music that I Hear." The narrator, Reuben Land, vividly paints his fascinating short visit to heaven with his dad. Despite the amazing description and recollection, Reuben falls short and laments, "What mortal creations are language and memory!"

Friday, April 10, 2009

Ultimate Sacrifice

Rights of United States citizens and their future generations are more important than life--my life, your life. I will not sacrifice my rights to speak freely, to worship, to be protected against illegal search and seizure, to vote, and to privacy for the purpose of avoiding another terrorist attack like September 11. I believe in Patrick Henry's revolutionary refrain: "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death!" My life, your life are no more valuable than an American soldiers' life, but it's our liberties that are more valuable than them all. And it's the American Soldier--not me, not you--that places his life in imminent danger. A soldier protects my liberties on the front line; he is the one that makes the ultimate sacrifice, not me, not you.

2 comments:

  1. However I do take solace that the soldier has "chosen" to be where he is. It may make me feel different if there was a draft. I also think that the soldier acts, in my name...when he is defending our rights...so in a way, although I am not out sacrificing my life, there are other ways to sacrifice (taxes to name one!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Well, thanks for giving me something to really ponder today! That is amazing! Perspective is great isn't it.

    ReplyDelete